Aragonite is a spectacular looking crystal that usually forms in a star-like shape. We can’t blame you if you’re drawn to this stone; it’s a very unusual crystal and its uniqueness brings with it some interesting qualities. If you find yourself drawn to aragonite, then follow your gut. You didn’t choose aragonite, aragonite chose you.
Aragonite was discovered in the late 18th century in the river Aragon in Spain. No prizes for how it got its name! It has since been found all over the globe in countries such as China, Peru, Mexico, and Namibia.
Forming regularly in the shells of mollusks, aragonite goes through a process called twinning as it grows. This process is what’s responsible for its funky star shape, and is also the only thing that differentiates it from calcite. Or at least, the only physical thing.
By the late twentieth century, aragonite had developed a reputation for being a powerful crystal for its metaphysical properties. It was widely used to get to the heart of a problem. If something’s bothering you, but you can’t quite figure out what it is, then aragonite will help you find and release it.
Aragonite Healing Properties
As mentioned above, aragonite has the powerful ability to help you confront your darker issues. It reveals inner truths about yourself that you barely even knew were there. Perhaps you’d hidden something away long ago and forgotten about it, or maybe it’s subconsciously been repressed. Whatever it is, aragonite brings it swirling to the surface and assists you in releasing it. Don’t hold onto negative energy. Especially not around aragonite, because it will find it and remind you that it’s there.
If its energy sounds a little intense, just remember that it’s got your best interests at heart. Cleanse this crystal regularly to keep your connection with it strong. It can also help strengthen your bond with the planet. Once you use it to release energy blocks, you’ll find yourself a lot more centered and grounded. It helps you feel more in tune with mother earth.
This ability brings stability to the mind, body, and spirit. It harmonizes your energetic bodies so that you can slow down and enjoy the small things. It encourages you to have gratitude for all that you have, and all that you will ever have. Patience is a virtue, and aragonite will never let you forget it.
It’s an excellent stone for building trust. It makes you more disciplined and pushes you to be more reliable for others. A deeply compassionate stone, it helps you find a way to express love to your friends, family, and partner, even if you’re having a bad day. It’s not their fault, and you still love them, so aragonite lets you show it.
As aragonite comes in a wide variety of colors, from red to green to blue and beyond, it isn’t linked with any one chakra. Rather, its chakra-healing properties depend on your specific type of aragonite. No two crystals are ever the same.
How to Meditate with Aragonite
Find a private space to meditate when using this crystal. The last thing you want to do is release all your negativity and send it straight to somebody else in your home. Use your own sacred space if you have one. Wherever you are, bring your full attention to aragonite.
- Sit calmly with the crystal in your palms.
- Breathe deeply. Inhale healing light from the universe. Exhale love to yourself, your surroundings, and everyone you know.
When you feel relaxed and your breaths are consistent, visualize any negativity or bad vibrations leaving your body. Imagine they rise to the surface, leave, and are replaced with love.
If you discover the energy that’s no longer welcome, you can give it a direct order: “This is my body, and all negative energy must leave immediately.”
- Keep breathing through the release. You may feel a chaotic haze of emotions, ranging from anger to sadness. You might laugh or even cry. Be prepared before you sit down with aragonite. This can be intense, particularly if you have traumatic experiences bottled down from your past. Proceed with caution, but always remember that its soothing, loving energy is watching over you and filling in the gaps left behind.
- When you feel as if you’ve shed a layer, bring your attention back to your breath. You can continue shedding layers if you’re up to it, but it’s more than okay to stop and try again another time. It’s unlikely you’ll be able to get everything off your chest in one session anyway.
- Smile and thank your crystal before putting it down. Continue breathing for a little while as you let your awareness return to your physical body.
- Always remember to cleanse your aragonite after using it. It absorbs energy from the surrounding environment, including anything you’ve released. Working with it again in this state would weaken its power and potentially open the door for you to re-absorb everything you’ve worked so hard to let go of.
The energy of this crystal is old and wise. It acts in a motherly way as if it knows best and wants to help you, regardless of whether you see it yet. Sometimes, this can be off-putting. You may want to work with a different crystal that isn’t so intense in its behavior. But if you get the hang of aragonite’s temperamental attitude, then there’s no going back.