Choosing gemstones whose energy complements each other is easy once you know what to look for. While the ancient wisdom of following your intuition isn't wrong, it certainly helps to know which crystals work well together.
With many crystals available, how do you decide which crystal combinations work and which ones don't?
To save you time with trial and error, here's a breakdown of some powerful crystal pairings, followed by some categories to keep in mind when choosing your crystals. It's a great guide to have if you're deciding how best to partner up the stones you already have.
Powerful Crystal Pairings
Below are some excellent crystal combinations depending on their healing properties.
Crystal combination for energy & creativity
Citrine and Carnelian crystals work well together to enhance vitality and promote natural creative energies. Citrine bracelets, in particular, are great for success. The crystal's energy inspires positivity and joy, lifting your spirits into the clouds. Carnelian is a motivational gem that encourages you to trust in yourself to make wise decisions. These crystals complement each other perfectly to leave you energized and full of zest.
Crystal combinations for meditation
If you want a match to make you feel more still and quiet, something that can increase the intensity of your meditations, then there are a few crystal combinations that you can choose from.
Lapis Lazuli and Selenite are an excellent match to start with. Lapis Lazuli helps you connect with your inner wisdom, unlocking the truth within. The crystal pushes your intuition into overdrive which is excellent for receiving more impactful realizations during meditation. Selenite‘s healing properties and calming nature instills a deep peace within. The crystal's energy helps you find the space between sounds so that even if your environment is loud, you can still find your cool and be mindful. The crystal clears confusion and promotes mental clarity.
Labradorite and Clear Quartz are popular crystal pairings that work toward the same effect. Be careful, however, when mixing two crystals that are too similar. For example, both Lapis Lazuli and Labradorite are identical in their properties. Both offer inner truth paths, open up the third eye chakra, and expand the mind and enhance intuition. When crystals are too alike, they can often be overwhelming. In some cases, they can repel each other—and rebel—by canceling each other's energy out.
Combining crystals for nightmares
Smoky Quartz or Amethyst make a good nightmare-preventer when complemented by Black Tourmaline. The latter stone offers the bulk of the protection, keeping negative energy away, while the lighter energy of the Quartz stones helps relax the mind and stops overthinking before bed. Bad dreams are usually a sign of stress, so it's good to have a soother accompanied by a protection stone.
Best crystal combination for protection
If you want a protective charm, then there are plenty of defensive crystals that work well together. We recommend a triple threat to negative energy: Black Obsidian, Tiger's Eye, and Hematite. You can find all three of these powerhouses in the Triple Protection Bracelet.
What is black obsidian good for? It has been referred to as the ‘soul cleanser' for its purification properties. The crystal destroys negative energy and protects you. Hematite grounds you, soothes stress and transforms negative vibrations into positive energy.
And what does Tiger's Eye do? Tiger's Eye encourages you to release inhibitions that hold you back from enjoying life. It's said to protect against psychic attacks too. You couldn't be energetically safer than with these three crystals.
Best crystals for love
The most powerful crystal pairings to enhance loving vibrations tend to be those that stimulate the heart chakra. Rose Quartz and Malachite are crystals that work well together because the pink stone is soft and light, where the green is strong and relentless. Where Rose Quartz gently soothes, Malachite pounds and pushes. Nevertheless, both stones attract love for the self and from those around you. The big differences in their approach are not as important as their unified cause.
How To Find Crystals That Work Well Together
To come up with good crystal combinations, consider your intentions, chakras, zodiac sign, elements, and life path number.
Let's explore these options further.
Choose crystal combinations for a specific intention
Intentions are crucial when finding gemstones that complement each other. To create powerful crystal pairings, you need to find a shared intention between the two. There's no point in combining a light stone like Green Aventurine with a strong stone like Black Obsidian because they have no common goal.
Before you combine crystals for healing benefits, it's wise to focus on just one crystal and your specific intention with it. Once you know what you want to achieve, you can select your healing crystals.
For example, here are crystal combinations for specific intentions:
- Selenite and Black Tourmaline to repel negative energy. The combination's mighty power will heal your emotional scars and bring you more peace.
- Aventurine and Citrine for grounding. Choose Aventurine bracelets with Citrine stone to create a deep connection with nature for mental clarity and stability when you're feeling unbalanced. Clear Quartz and Hematite are also excellent healing stones for a foggy mind.
- Smoky Quartz and Blue Lace Agate for relieving stress and anxiety. When you're feeling anxious, work with these gemstones in a crystal healing meditation to calm down your intense emotions.
- Rose Quartz and Amethyst for aligning the crown chakra and heart chakra. The Amethyst-Rose Quartz pair is an excellent combination for raising your self-confidence, self-love, and spiritual energy.
- Rhodochrosite and Carnelian for opening up to romantic love and unleashing your true self. You can create crystal grids with these healing crystals in your house to soften your heart. You can also pair Green Aventurine with Rose Quartz or Green Tourmaline with Pink Tourmaline for love.
- Black Tourmaline and Smoky Quartz (or Smokey Quartz) for repelling bad dreams and fear. These stones play nicely as crystal grids in your bedroom to bring positive energy as you sleep. You can also add Blue Lace Agate for a restful sleep.
- Malachite and Black Tourmaline for relieving pain. These healing crystals' soothing energy is excellent for headaches. You can switch Black Tourmaline with Smoky (or Smokey) Quartz for foot pain.
- Clear Quartz and Lapis Lazuli to enhance your meditation.
- Various Moonstone colors to balance hormones. The Moonstone's feminine energy will connect you to the divine to give you inner strength while bringing back your balance.
Consider the chakras
If your intention is strengthened by one of the chakras, pick a stone that benefits the said chakra. Here are a few examples for each of the seven chakras:
- Root: Red Jasper, Black Tourmaline, Black Obsidian
- Sacral: Carnelian, Sunstone, Calcite
- Solar Plexus: Tiger's Eye, Pyrite, Citrine
- Heart: Malachite, Rose Quartz, Green Aventurine
- Throat: Turquoise, Aquamarine, Lapis Lazuli
- Brow: Amethyst, Purple Fluorite, Sodalite
- Crown: Selenite, Clear Quartz
Consider your zodiac sign
Similar to the chakras, if you have an intention in mind that could be enhanced by pairing crystals of the same zodiac, go for it! They can be extremely beneficial to people born under certain star signs. If you're looking for ideas, here are a few crystals for each astrological sign.
- Aries: Clear Quartz, Citrine, Black Onyx
- Taurus: Malachite, Jade, Pyrite
- Gemini: Chalcedony, Labradorite, Aquamarine
- Cancer: Moonstone, Carnelian, Emerald
- Leo: Tiger's Eye, Hematite, Golden Topaz
- Virgo: Jasper, Moss Agate, Sapphire
- Libra: Black Tourmaline, Lapis Lazuli, Opal
- Scorpio: Rose Quartz, Rhodochrosite, Ruby
- Sagittarius: Turquoise, Amethyst, Pink Tourmaline
- Capricorn: Garnet, Jet, Fluorite
- Aquarius: Amber, Angelite, Blue Obsidian
- Pisces: Blue Lace Agate, Bloodstone, Aquamarine
Consider your life path number
To find your life path number, add all the single digits of your birth date, then add the resulting digits.
For example, if you were born on 11/04/1965, you would do the following sum: 1+1+4+1+9+6+5 = 27. 2+7 = 9. Keep adding the digits until you get to a single-digit number—unless you get either 11 or 22, which are power numbers.
All crystals vibrate on a frequency that resonates with one of these numbers. If that happens to be your life path number, then you can bet you'll feel the benefits of this pairing more than any other duo. Numerologically matching stones could form a powerful combination that you never expected.
For the example above, Rose Quartz bracelets with Picture Jasper and Malachite would be great options.
Here are crystals for your possible life path numbers.
- Garnet, Verdite, Turquoise
- Howlite, Rutilated Quartz, Fire Agate
- Amazonite, Yellow Jasper, Sunstone
- Moonstone, Rhodochrosite, Tiger's Eye
- Aquamarine, Dalmatian Jasper, Moss Agate
- Carnelian, Labradorite, Red Jasper
- Amethyst, Peridot, Blue Chalcedony
- Citrine, Kunzite, Yellow Apatite
- Rose Quartz, Picture Jasper, Malachite
- Garnet, Sunstone
- Tourmaline, Lapis Lazuli, Blue Lace Agate
Combine crystal families
To make it as simple as possible, fall back into focusing on the crystals’ family.
Quartz crystals (Clear, Rutilated, Rose, Amethyst, etc.) tend to work well together. Likewise, Agate crystals make powerful crystal pairings. You can also create crystal combinations from members of the Jasper and Tourmaline families. It's generally safe to mix and match, too, but watch out for the odd exception.
Pair gemstones with their elements
Finally, you can break crystals down into four main elements. Choosing two gemstones from the same category will create powerful crystal pairings, but perhaps they may be a little overwhelming. It completely depends on your intention. If you want something with less intensity, you can mix and match but avoid opposites. A fire and water stone will rarely work together in harmony as their energies often negate one another.
Here are the crystals that work well together within their elements:
- Air: Fluorite, Selenite, Labradorite, Amethyst
- Fire: Sunstone, Carnelian, Fire Agate, Red Jasper, Citrine
- Earth: Black Tourmaline, Obsidian, Pyrite, Hematite
- Water: Amethyst, Aquamarine, Selenite, Chalcedony, Celestite
When combining gemstones, always remember that you don't want too much of one thing while avoiding two stones with nothing in common. Maintaining a healthy crystal balance is the key. For example, choose Amethyst bracelets that are combined with Aquamarine stone to awaken your intuition and achieve deep healing.
Amplify Crystal Healing With Crystal Combinations
Certain stones work well together when combined with complementing stones. For example, Lapis Lazuli and Turquoise are excellent for healing the throat chakra. But pairing specific crystals with nothing in common like Black Obsidian and Green Aventurine will add no benefit to your healing practice.
Keep in mind that combining high-energy vibration crystals could be overwhelming. Obsidian, Rose Quartz, and Carnelian are some high-energy crystals. You could mix-match such crystals based on their elements. For example, you could combine Black Tourmaline (earth) with Selenite (water) to remove negative energy from your aura.
When combining gemstones, consider your intention for the crystals, then choose specific stones that serve the purpose. You can also use your zodiac sign, life path number, and chakras to determine your crystal pairs.
Hopefully, you found the guide useful, and it sent your mind down previously unexplored paths. Good luck with combining crystals for healing in the future!
You can explore our best-selling crystal collection to find pairs that match your intentions.