You know the feeling that something is off, but you can’t quite put your finger on it? Maybe what you’re missing is a little bit of magic! If you’re feeling called to work with crystals but don’t know where to start, this guide is for you. We’ll go over all the basics of how to use healing crystals.
After reading this guide, you'll know how to work with crystals wherever you are, including how to use crystals in the home, in the workplace, and on the go. Let's get into it!
How to Choose the Right Crystal for You?
While we generally advocate going by gut feel for experienced crystal users, we understand that it can be helpful to have a few guidelines when you're starting out.
Here are our top three tips for choosing the right crystals to start your collection:
- Consider what you want to achieve - Do you find yourself struggling to love yourself? Are you seeking protection from negative energy? Could you use a bit more abundance in your life? Or is there a particular physical or mental ailment you'd like to address? Being clear about your intention is the first step to finding the right crystals. Choosing a crystal that corresponds to your intention will help you to better connect with its energies and reap the benefits.
- Research crystals you're drawn to - Once you've decided on your intention, it's time to do a little research on which crystals will best support your goals. Note, however, that just because a crystal has a certain property doesn't mean it will work for everyone. The best way to know for sure is to try it out and see how you respond.
- Trust your intuition - Your intuition won't always be spot-on (we're only human, after all), but it's a good general rule to follow.
How to Use Crystals
Okay, now you have several crystals that you're ready to start working with. But you still don't know how to properly use crystals, let alone how to make a crystal work for you.
So how do you use crystals?
As experts, we'd love to give you a step-by-step guide on how to use healing stones. But the truth is, there's no one right way to do it. Understanding your relationship to crystals is part of the journey. You'll develop your own methods and rituals as you go along.
Some ideas to get you started:
Meditate with Crystals
Not everyone takes to meditation right away. Understanding the specific roadblocks you face can help you choose a crystal that will support your practice.
Here are some common issues people have with meditation and the crystals that can help:
- Having trouble getting yourself to sit down and meditate? - Working with Amethyst or Blue Lace Agate can help clear away the mental clutter and give you the motivation you need to get started.
- An experienced meditator wanting to dive deeper into their practice? - Use crystals like Sapphire or Unakite, both of which are known to facilitate inner vision and understanding, to get in touch with your higher self.
Consult our comprehensive guide on meditating with crystals here!
Create a Crystal Grid
Simply put, a crystal grid is a pre-printed or material grid where you can place your crystals. It functions like a blueprint that you can use to direct the energies of your crystals for your particular needs.
Based on sacred geometry, crystal grids can come in all sorts of shapes and designs. We recommend going with a pre-printed grid that's been specifically tailored to your intention. This will make it easier for you to properly align your crystals and get the most out of their energies.
You can get into crafting your own grids once you have a better understanding of how they work. Our guide to creating crystal grids has everything you need to get started!
Carry the Crystal With You
Your crystals' energies feed off of your vibrations. This means that the more time you spend around them, the stronger their effects will be.
Here's how we recommend you carry your crystals around with you:
- Raw or tumbled stones - Keeping a couple of small crystals in your pocket or purse is an easy way to keep their energies close by throughout the day. A small Black Obsidian piece, for instance, can be a godsend when you're having a terrible day at work. Just reach into your pocket to feel its support can help you ground yourself and release some of the pent-up tension!
- Jewelry - On top of being fashionable, crystal jewelry also allows you to reap the benefits of your stones' energies even when you're not actively thinking about them. When choosing jewelry, always try to wear pieces close to the parts of your body that they'll benefit the most. For instance, a Pyrite anklet can light a fire under your feet when you need a little extra motivation.
Yoga with Crystals
Placing some of your crystals on your yoga mat before you begin can help to set the tone for your practice and amplify the effects of the poses. Here are two ways our crystals improve our yoga practice:
- A hard day at work putting a damper on your session? - Boost your energy with Agate or Tiger's Eye to work through the fatigue.
- Feeling a little under the weather? - Kickstart your immune system with hard-hitting crystals like Clear Quartz or Fluorite to help you get back on your feet—and your mat—in no time.
Experimenting with different crystals and combinations is (more than) half the fun! So, don't be afraid to mix things up to find the perfect match for your needs.
Crystals as Home Decor
You deserve to come home to a space that is both beautiful and relaxing. Creating an environment that reflects your inner peace can help to ease tension and promote positive energy flow in your home.
Remote workers, homemakers, and anyone who spends a significant amount of time at home can benefit from infusing their space with the energies of crystals.
Check out how we stay productive from home with help from our favorite stones!
- A few pieces of Apatite or Lapis Lazuli adorning your home office can be a lifesaver when you're stuck in a creative rut or struggling to focus.
- Too much negative energy swirling around at home? Cleanse and purify your space with Black Tourmaline to get some well-deserved peace of mind.
Crystals in Self-Care Routine
Self-care is more than just bubble baths and face masks (although those are nice, too). It's about showing ourselves the love and care that we so often give to others.
As everyone comes to learn, loving others is impossible without loving ourselves first. But in a world that so often equates productivity with worth, it can be all too easy to forget to show ourselves a little TLC to recharge, refresh, and recenter.
If you've been wondering how to use chakra stones like Pink Opal and Pink Tourmaline in your self-care routine, look no further. These crystals open our Heart chakra, giving us access even to the most hidden corners of our feelings so that we can finally start to work through them.
Attuning us to our own needs, these crystals can help us to begin the process of developing a more compassionate relationship with ourselves—and, as a result, with the world around us.
Learning how to use crystals for the first time can be a bit of a struggle—we know. Keep at it! With a little practice (and maybe a bit of studying), not only will things get easier, but you'll start to develop a stronger sense of the crystals that work best for you and your needs. From there, the sky's the limit!
Have fun exploring!