Your crystals put in a lot of work in your life. And like anything that works hard, they need a break now and then. Cleansing your crystals is like giving them a vacation. Think of it as a way to let them rest, so they can come back stronger than before: ready to take on whatever you need them for.
Cleansing is also important from a practical perspective. If you don’t cleanse your crystals, the negative energies they absorb can start accumulating, interfering with their ability to do their jobs. So, if you want your crystals to work their best, it’s important to keep them in tip-top shape.
Good thing, then, that cleansing your crystals is easy to do. Several methods exist: there will always be one or two that fit not just your crystals but your lifestyle as well. Read on below to learn about some of the most popular methods for cleansing crystals!
The History Of Crystal Cleansing
Everything we know about crystal cleansing comes to us from ancient cultures worldwide. After centuries of trial and error, they've passed down their wisdom to us so that we can benefit from their knowledge!
Why Cleansing Crystals Is Essential
Your crystal's journey to you contains several steps. From harvesting to transport, every point of contact exposes your crystal to potential negative energy. By the time it reaches you, it may be full of bad intentions.
Cleansing your crystal helps to restore it to its original state and realign it with your energies and intentions. Not only does this allow your crystal to perform its best, but it also ensures its longevity.
How To Cleanse Crystals
There are several ways to cleanse your crystals. We all have our favorites—try a couple until you find the method that works best for you!
Water is one of the elements that can return the crystal to its roots in the earth, which makes it an ideal way to cleanse negative energy from your stones. The best kind of running water is found in nature, such as a river or stream, but if that's not possible, tap water will do.
All you have to do is hold your stone under the running water for four to five minutes, pat it dry with a clean cloth, and that's it!
The same concept behind using rice to cleanse water from electronics can be applied to cleansing crystals. Brown rice is known to absorb negativity, so by leaving the crystal in a bowl of rice overnight, you can cleanse it of any negative energy it may be harboring.
24 hours is the minimum amount of time you should leave the crystal in the rice, but for optimal results, you can leave it longer. This method is especially useful for cleansing protective stones.
Sunlight Or Moonlight
Harnessing solar or lunar energies is a time-honored way to cleanse your crystals. Generally speaking, the sun will infuse them with vitality, while the moonlight will encourage restorative and introspective vibes. You can also leave your crystals on a windowsill or outside overnight to absorb these natural energies—no fuss, no muss!
The only things you need to watch out for here are heat (the sun can get pretty intense, especially in the summer) and water (rain, snow, etc.). Know the weather in your area and adjust accordingly.
This herb smells not only good but also has cleansing properties that can be used to cleanse your crystals. If your crystal has been exposed to negative energy, sage can help cleanse it and return it to its original state.
Here's what you need to do:
- Place your crystal on a flat surface.
- Light the sage and allow the smoke to engulf the crystal.
- As you do this, visualize the negative energy being released from the crystal.
- Once the sage has burned out, use a clean cloth to wipe off any residue.
If you want to know how to cleanse crystals with incense sticks or other herbs, follow the same general steps as above!
You can use anything that vibrates to cleanse your crystals, from a tuning fork to your voice. A recording can work in a pinch, but it's not as effective as live sound.
For the best results, you may want to invest in a Tibetan singing bowl.
We like using smaller singing bowls (producing a high-pitched sound) for cleansing softer stones like Selenite, and larger bowls (producing a deeper, lower tone) for harder stones like Smoky Quartz.
Here's how we do it:
- Place your stones on a clean, flat surface.
- Hold the bowl in your nondominant hand, hitting it gently with the wooden striker to create a ringing sound. Gradually bring the bowl closer to your stones.
- Once you feel your stones acclimate to the sound, run the striker around the bowl's rim to create a sustained sound.
- Rotate the bowl clockwise as you do this, so the sound waves move in a spiral pattern around your stones.
- Let the sound dissipate naturally after 5 to 10 minutes. Silence can be just as healing as sound, so don't rush to stop the ringing.
Using a larger stone
If you just want to have your crystal ready as soon as you get up in the morning, getting an extra large stone is the way to go.
No matter how large your favorite stones are, all you have to worry about is finding an even bigger one. Look for something that can support all of your crystals at once without toppling over, like a geode, cluster, or slab.
Selenite slabs are our go-to for this method. Relatively affordable and easy to find, Selenite slabs act as a natural pick-me-up for any crystal on its surface.
It's incredibly easy!
- Take the stones you want to charge and place them on top of the Selenite slab. Use a bowl if you're worried about them toppling over.
- Leave them there for at least eight hours—anywhere from 18 to 24 hours is ideal in our experience.
Using smaller stones
Don't worry if you don't have any (or can't find any) big enough to support all of your crystals at once. Just use smaller stones!
The process here is similar to using a large stone but reversed: you create a bed of smaller stones for your crystals to rest on. Our top stones for this method are Clear Quartz and Hematite.
Let's go over the steps:
- Gather a bunch of small, clean stones. We recommend tumbled stones—less jagged edges to worry about.
- Place them in a small bowl, glass, or another container. Fill it until the stones are snug but not crammed in.
- Gently lay the stones you want cleansed atop the bed of smaller stones.
- Same as above, eight hours is sufficient for daily cleansing, but 18 to 24 is ideal.
Best for small stones you can hold comfortably in your hand, this method requires you to do nothing more than focus your attention and breathe.
Easier said than done, of course—this is why we recommend this method for times when you can focus on the task at hand, like first thing in the morning or right before bed.
Here's how it works:
- Take a few deep breaths and let your body relax.
- Slowly set your mind on the task at hand: cleansing your crystals.
- With the stone in your dominant hand, bring it close to your heart.
- Look down on your crystal, and as you exhale in short, steady bursts, imagine your breath carrying away any negative energy clinging to the stone. 30 seconds of sustained breathing should do the job.
All you need to do is hold your crystal in your hands and visualize a bright light surrounding it. But as with anything worth doing, the key is in the details.
Here are some tips for cleansing your crystals using visualization we wish we had known starting out:
- Bad instruments can't make good music, no matter how skilled the musician is. Since all you're using here is your mind, if you're feeling scattered, stressed, or just generally not great, it might be best to put off cleansing your crystals until you're in a better headspace.
- The quality of your visualization matters. See the light as being bright and radiant, not dim or flickering.
- Ensure that your physical space is conducive to relaxation. Choose a comfortable place to sit or lie down, where you won't be interrupted.
Common Questions About Cleansing Crystals
What is the best method for cleansing stones?
How to cleanse and charge your crystals is an intensely personal thing. You can ask several different collectors, "how do you cleanse crystals?" and get several different answers.
Try out all the different methods until you find the one that works best for you and your energy!
How to know when to cleanse?
Knowing how to cleanse your crystals is just half the battle. On top of how to cleanse stones, you also have to know when. Many factors go into this decision, such as how often the crystal is used and what type of energy it has been exposed to.
Being attuned to your body and mind is the best way to tell when a crystal needs cleansing. But the general rule here is that the more you use your crystal, the more often you'll have to cleanse it.
What's the difference between cleansing and charging crystals?
Many cleansing methods function as charging methods, but these two concepts differ.
Cleansing is all about ridding your crystal of negative energy, while charging focuses on infusing your crystal with positive energy.
Some crystals don't need to be cleansed as often because of their internal structure--these same crystals can be used to charge other crystals.
How often do I need to cleanse my stones?
Most stones will need to be cleansed regularly, especially if you use them heavily.
There are some exceptions, however. Some stones are so fragile that they can't withstand the rigors of cleansing and will break down over time if you cleanse them too often.
It's best to consult a reliable source (like us!) before cleansing any stones. If you're unsure about a particular stone, err on the side of caution and don't cleanse it before checking first.
How do I know when a stone is cleansed?
Giving an exact answer to this question is like trying to describe the color blue to someone who's never seen it before. A good rule of thumb, however, is that if you feel like the stone has been cleansed, then it probably has been.
The bottom line is that cleansing your crystals is a personal process that requires you to be in tune with both your stones and yourself. Always go with what feels right to you!
What should I do with my stones after they’ve been cleansed?
A sparkling clean stone is primed and ready to absorb any energies you send their way.
Program them with your desired intention by holding the stone in your hands and focusing on what it is you want to achieve. Visualize your goal as vividly as possible, and infuse the stone with that energy.
You can also use this opportunity to cleanse your energy field by setting the intention that any negativity or unwanted energies be transferred into the stone.
Once you're finished, simply place the stone back on its altar or in its special spot and allow it to do its work.
Precautions To Take For Cleansing
Not all crystals are created equal. Some are more delicate than others and can be easily damaged by water, salt, or sunlight. Always do your research before cleansing your crystals to avoid any potential accidents!
All the listed methods come with their own set of pros and cons, so it ultimately comes down to what you're most comfortable with.
If you're not sure where to start, we recommend going with the method that requires the least amount of effort: using larger crystals or stones. Not only is it low-maintenance, but it's also relatively foolproof. Once you get the hang of cleansing your crystals using one method, feel free to experiment with others to see what works best for you!